With ‘going green’ being the mantra nowadays it is no wonder that medicine should also go the same way. Now allopathic medicines are giving way to medicines that are 100% herbal and natural. This trend that just caught up in a decade has been in use for more than a thousand years. The first recorded instance of herbal medicine dates back to 2800 BC from China. Almost every civilization had been using herbs as medicine. The main reason for the growth of herbal medicine is because of the fact that, unlike synthetic medicines, it has absolutely none or very little side effects. This made herbal medicines much sought after by the people and to take advantage of this, the markets are flooded with medicines that promise to be made from natural ingredients. No doubt, this holds a special attraction for those fed up with the negative effects of synthetic medicines. But though herbal medicines have numerous benefits, like all alternative medicines, it also has a few demerits. These demerits must also be considered before jumping into the world of herbal medicines. Given below in the article are the advantages and disadvantages of herbal medicine. Read on the article to know more.
Herbal Medicine Merits And Demerits
Advantages Of Herbal Medicine
- Allopathic medicines are very costly. In contrast, herbal medicines are very cheap. This cost effectiveness makes them all the more alluring.
- Herbal medicines can be brought without prescription and they are available in all most all health stores. Some herbs can even be grown at home.
- For certain ailments, herbal medicines are considered to be more effective than allopathic medicines.
- Herbal medicines do not have any side effects, as they are free from chemicals. They are also milder than allopathic medicines.
- The natural detoxification process of the body is effectively enhanced by herbal medicines. They can be used to cleanse the colon, improve digestion and food absorption. Herbal medicines are also very good in boosting the immune system.
- Herbal medicines are very effective in curing various digestive disorders like colitis, indigestion, peptic ulcers, and irregular bowel movements.
- These types of medicines are best for people who are allergic to various types of drugs.
- Herbal medicines are also effective in boosting the mental health.
- Most of the ailments related to blood circulation like high blood pressure, varicose ulcers, and many others can be controlled through herbal medicine.
- Some herbal medicines are very good in reducing the cholesterol level in the blood stream. They are also used to treat coronary artery diseases.
- Herbal medicine can be used to reduce weight by regulating appetite.
Disadvantages Of Herbal Medicine
Herbal medicines do have quite a few disadvantages.
- The main drawback is that herbal medicines take too much time to act. The entire process is very slow. When you go for herbal medicines, it is best to have immense patience.
- There is also a remote chance that herbal medicine may not give the desired result.
- Herbal medicine is not good for serious trauma like broken bones. It also cannot heal a heart attack. It is also ineffective in sudden illnesses and accidents.
- Some plant chemicals can be toxic to the body. In addition, certain ingredients react differently with different people. So, it is always necessary to test the herbal medicine to check that it is not allergic to the body.
- For some ailments, herbal medicines can cause negative side effects. These side effects may also take a long time to revel.
- Herbal medicines are also not properly regulated and so they do not carry any quality assurance.
- Herbal medicines require very good practitioners and these are very few. Most of the ‘doctors’ that populate the commercial herbal remedy market are not qualified and so people must stay away from them.
- Some herbal medicines can interact with medications like antidepressants.