If you think that after leaving behind your teen years, you have just rid yourself with adolescence problems of pimples and the like, you are in for a surprise. While the pimple problems end with your adolescence, adult age might bring acne with itself. Acne is caused due to the accumulation of the normal skin pigment in the oil gland ducts. It has been estimated that 50 percent of women and 25 percent of men suffer from adult acne during 25 to 40 years of age. Adult acne is more likely to leave permanent scars, as the skin ages and loses collagen and it’s much harder for it to bounce back after tissue damage. Want to know more on the skin condition? Go through the lines that follow and increase your knowledge about adult acne.
Causes of Adult Acne
There are several reasons which cause acne during adulthood. Stress, bad cosmetics, hormones and birth control pills are some of the reason which can cause acne once adolescence is over. While stress causes your oil glands to overcompensate, bad cosmetics lead to bacteria-laden pores. Hormones, on the other hand, cause the sebaceous glands to overact, causing enlargement and over activity of the oil glands in skin.
Birth control pills with androgen in them can cause breakouts in the skin. Diet is also one of the causes for acne problems in adults. The foods associated with acne are those that produce acidity in the stomach. These include all types of dairy products, refined and processed carbohydrates - such as flour and sugar, cooked fats - such as fried foods and red meats and even caffeine. If you really want to get rid of acne, start eating less acidic foods.
Facts About Adult Acne
- Blackheads can easily lead to acne, if not treated on time. Nothing more than oil and dead cells trapped in a pore, they can turn into red pimples when inflamed and spread when touched by dirty hands.
- Stress, bad cosmetics, hormones and birth control pills count amongst the most common causes of adult acne. It is advisable to use oil-free, non-acnegenic products, to keep the problem at bay.
- Chocolate does not result in acne. However, use of bad cosmetics and improper cleansing routine does.
- It is good to get a facial, if you are suffering from acne. The beautician will judge you skin condition well and give it what it needs, right from sulfur, zinc and camphor masks to exfoliation and blackhead extractions.
- In case you have had acne as a teenager as well, keep in mind that the products that worked at the time will not do in case of adult acne. So, go to your doctor and ask him to recommend the appropriate products.
- Most of the people go to a normal doctor for their skin problems. Though there is nothing wrong in it, if you are suffering from something like adult acne, a proper dermatologist will serve your needs better.